Cats stuck in sixth at Big Tens after 2 days

With nearly 40 Northwestern parents sporting purple attire and waving pompons and paws, the Wildcats women’s swimming team finished the second day of the Big Ten championships tied for sixth with Iowa.

After a slow start in the first day of competition at Michigan in Canham Natatorium, the Cats remain in the same position they were in at the conclusion of the second day. But with 12 of the 20 events still remaining, there is plenty of time for NU to catch up.

Penn State will start day three in first place with a small lead over second-place Indiana. And although the Cats are more than 100 points behind, they remain optimistic.

“We had hoped to be a little higher, but it’s kind of what we’ve earned at this point,” NU head coach Jimmy Tierney said. “We’ve just got to keep moving up.”

Tierney said the opportunity is there for the Cats to take. He added that the parents have been inspirational and very supportive in the team’s competition thus far.

“I think it helps a lot in getting us all psyched up and ready to go,” NU swimmer Katie Simmons said.

The 200-yard freestyle relay led off the finals Thursday. NU’s fourth-place quartet finished in 1:32.07, a B-cut time, and put the Cats in a good position to continue the day.

Stephanie Cranston and Vicky West scored points for NU in the 500 free, finishing 13th and 16th.

But the 200 individual medley was the highest-scoring event for the team. Five NU swimmers scored, four with B-cut marks. And Erin Swenson touched in the fastest for the team in sixth place at a 2:02.64.

Tierney said Swenson did a terrific job and put herself in a good position to swim at the NCAA championships.

“I haven’t even gotten to swim my best events yet, so I’m really excited,” the sophomore Simmons said.

Simmons was amazed by the time NU’s 400 medley relay recorded. Simmons, Susie Sample, Merritt Adams and Carmen Cosgrove finished sixth at 3:43.86, shaving more than three seconds off their former season best and notching a B-cut time.

Although NU didn’t score in the two remaining events, the 50 free and 1-meter diving, Tierney said the outlook is good because the Cats have settled in and know what to expect.

“Once they get past the opening jitters … they just keep performing better,” Tierney said.

Most of NU’s strongest events will be swum today and Saturday.

“The last day is probably our best day overall,” Tierney said. “It gives us something to look forward to and get motivated for.”