Izzo has different outlook for Final Four: NU

Give Tom Izzo some credit. His attempt at breaking down Northwestern’s defense Wednesday night was the most creative any Big Ten coach has mustered against the Wildcats this year.

The Spartans threw tons of screens. They ran crossing patterns until the cows came home. They worked the ball inside to free their guards. And power forward Adam Ballinger stole a page from NU counterpart Tavaras Hardy’s book by draining two three-pointers.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Spartans didn’t allow the Cats a single backdoor cut, the hallmark of NU coach Bill Carmody’s Princeton offense.

But, always honest, Izzo spent several minutes after the game making deprecating remarks about Michigan State’s effort on offense – especially Ballinger’s – and he even went as far as to blame his assistant coaches’ gameplan. He’s right, in part – it was the hustle strategy that doomed the Spartans in the end.

They tired. They started making bad passes. The monotonous crossing patterns led to offensive fouls and three-second violations.

But despite his crabby mood Wednesday, Izzo made a friend in Carmody.

“I think Northwestern’s good enough to be a Tournament team,” Izzo said. “They’re one of those teams like Wisconsin was a couple of years ago. If they got in the Tournament, on a one- or two-day prep, it’s a very difficult team to prepare for.”

That Wisconsin team he spoke of made it to the 2000 Final Four.

Carmody was pleased upon hearing Izzo’s remarks.

“I like that guy,” he said. And he proceeded to change the subject, as would any gracious host.

Izzo might be right: If the Cats win four or five more games, the Tournament committee would be hard-pressed to pass them up. The NIT, which announced Wednesday that it will expand to 40 teams this year, may be a more viable option. And if the Cats go to the NIT, they would probably be one of the favorites to win it.

But that doesn’t mean Cats fans can’t start dreaming, or at least, dwelling on Izzo’s praise. One has to wonder, has anyone ever spoken those words before?

Many thought that NU would make the Big Dance during Evan Eschmeyer’s final season – current seniors will remember the excitement of the 1998-99 campaign, the “Hoosier daddy” incident and the NIT loss to DePaul. But I venture to guess that no one has ever suggested the NU basketball team could advance to the Final Four.

Carmody and his two seniors, Drayton and Hardy, are taking their newfound respect in stride. Carmody said that he expects to win every home game. The seniors agreed – they just want more fans to come watch.

Hardy, who must be the most entertaining player to watch in the Big Ten, co-wrote (with Drayton) a letter to the NU men’s basketball listserv Tuesday that pleaded with fans to come out to their remaining home games.

At 5,735, Wednesday’s attendance was meager considering that the Cats were facing Izzo and his four-time defending-Big Ten champions (not to mention the three straight Final Four appearances).

If NU can humble teams like that – and coaches like Izzo – then Hardy and Drayton shouldn’t have to plead for fans much longer.