Luck of the Irish buries Cats as Notre Dame takes 9th straight

No. 13 Notre Dame had more than just luck on its side when it dominated the Northwestern women’s swimming team Thursday night.

The No. 16 Wildcats traveled to South Bend, Ind., for a dual meet with the Fighting Irish but fell to Notre Dame for the third year in a row, 201-99.

While the Irish (9-0) took first place in most of the meet’s events, three of the Cats (4-3-1) were able to finish on top.

Sophomore Katie Simmons swept the backstroke events, touching in first in both the 100- and 200-yard events.

Teammate Carmen Cosgrove, a junior, recorded her seventh first-place finish in the 100 butterfly this season, and sophomore Erin Swenson won the 200 freestyle.

Although the Cats were unable to snag a win Thursday, they have another opportunity at 3 p.m. today when they take on No. 17 Michigan (2-4) in Ann Arbor, Mich.

NU will dive back into the water less than 24 hours after the loss to the Irish, but Cats head coach Jimmy Tierney expressed confidence in his team’s abilities.

“The one thing this team has done is they’ve responded well over the long haul of the meet,” Tierney said. “They might be a little ragged, but I think they’ll respond well.”

He said NU has done particularly well in meets lasting three consecutive days.

The team will journey back to Ann Arbor for its next three-day competition, the Big Ten championships.

The Cats will fight against their six ranked and four unranked conference rivals Feb. 21-23.

Swenson said today’s dual against the Wolverines will be an important one because NU will swim in Michigan’s pool in two consecutive meets.

“No matter who wins or who loses, it will up the rivalries even more,” she said.