Cats wrestlers make strides at talent-stocked Northern Open

The Northwestern wrestlers tried to continue their early-season success over the weekend in the Northern Open in River Falls, Wis. Ten Wildcats wrestlers placed in the top five in their weight classes against a field of schools that included North Dakota, Wisconsin, Northern Iowa and defending-national champion Minnesota.

Junior John Giacchi, an All-America hopeful who won the 141-pound weight class Nov. 17 at the Michigan State Open, also wrestled well in River Falls. He posted a 2-1 win over Boise State’s Gabe Vigil to take third place in his weight class.

Sophomore Ryan Cumbee also placed third in his weight class. He recorded three wins at the Northern Open, defeating North Dakota’s Zack Stefens 5-2 to secure his spot in the 149-pound standings.

Junior Robert Potashnik took fifth place in the 125-pound weight class with a 7-3 win, while sophomore Andrew Curran and junior Brendan Curran each placed fifth in the 184- and 197-pound weight classes. Brendan, who also placed fifth at the Michigan State Open, beat Minnesota’s Chad Mentol 7-3.

The Northern Open was the second respectable showing this season for a Cats team that did not win a conference match last season. Injuries had hobbled last year’s edition, but this year’s young squad is looking to make an impact on the perpetually strong Big Ten.

“We’re very young,” said head coach Tim Cysewski, currently in his 13th year. “We may have two freshmen starting this year, and you usually don’t see that in the Big Ten.”

According to Cysewski, the team’s performance at the Northern Open exhibitited improvement since its showing at Michigan State. Still, the young wrestlers must continue to learn to compete at the highest collegiate level.

“The biggest jump from high school to college is the intensity level,” he said. “Bumps and bruises go along with the sport, but we have to learn how to get out from under our opponents.”

The Cats’ next test will come at Patten Gym on Dec. 8. NU will compete against Princeton, Eastern Michigan, and Division III power Wisconsin-Parkside.

“Big Ten wrestling is very in-your-face,” Cysewski said, “and that is what we hope to show these guys.”