Children join NUMB for lesson in music, marching

Hundreds of local youngsters got a close-up, interactive look at music, instruments and life as a Wildcat band member Saturday during the 11th annual “Kids Fare: March With the Band,” a fall event hosted by the Northwestern University Marching Band.

As part of Saturday’s concert at Trienens Hall near Ryan Field, children and parents brought their own plastic drums, kazoos and whistles to play along with the band as they performed parts of the pre-game and half-time football shows.

The children learned the names and sounds of each instrument when band members performed a song that showcased the various sections.

During an “instrument petting zoo,” children got a closer look at the band members’ horns and drums.

And as the event’s finale, the children and band members marched together along the exercise field playing “Go U Northwestern.”

Evanston resident Katia Houston brought her 3-year-old son, Omer, to “March With the Band” for the toddler’s second year in a row.

“He loved the music, he loved to touch the instruments,” Houston said. “I asked him if he wanted to go again this year and he was very excited.”

She added that the event is a good way for parents and children to share the experience of music together.