Writing student ‘recs’ not simple task for faculty

A student once asked me for a letter of recommendation and I guess I didn’t look delighted about it. The student said he thought it would be an honor to be asked.

I thought of the honored Australian dead at Gallipoli. But I wrote it anyway.

I sympathized with him, though. Asking for recommendations is even worse than writing them. I once asked one of my undergraduate math professors for a recommendation, and he suggested that I ask someone who knew me “better.”

Right, like in three years at a research university on the semester system I would have four other professors with whom I’d starred in two upper level classes.

But he came through for me.

I try to do a good job on the letters I’m asked to write and I spend far too much time fussing over what to say, because I want our students to do well, as they deserve to, and because I am indebted to all the people who wrote on my behalf.

Super economics teacher Ron Braeutigam says that the hidden cost of teaching large classes is number of letters of recommendation that result. No joke: It’s part of the job, but I’ve currently got a backlog of more than 20 letters that I’m supposed to be writing.

When professors gripe about all the recommendations we owe, people ask, “Don’t you have a form letter?” The answer is, “No, and form letters are a waste of everyone’s time anyway.”

I sit on various scholarship bodies and read such letters. They really don’t help, especially after the second one.

Here is how I try to write recommendations:

Ideally, I ask the student for supporting documents like a transcript, resume, personal statement, old papers and whatever else may be helpful. I spend about 15 minutes the first night blocking out a draft of the letter and set up a future time to meet with the student. Then when I meet to interview the student, I work on the letter as we talk, then finish it that same evening.

This is far better than waiting for inspiration to strike. But life is busy, I get a backlog and often end up cranking them out at 3 a.m. the morning they’re due.

What’s so hard about writing a letter of recommendation?

Like I said, I read letters from others and I can tell you that many well-intended recommendations are just worthless. It’s not enough to say that the student did well in my class, even outstandingly well. The student’s transcript already makes a definitive statement about academic talent and how my class went. Some completely well-intended, positive letters really add nothing, and perhaps even damn through faint praise.

In my letters, I try to capture what makes the student special, as a scholar, leader or individual. Sure the student is smart and hard-working — aren’t they all? But what unique potential do I see in this person that might make a selection committee realize that this student is the person from whom they are looking? Sometimes it’s easy, even fun, but sometimes it’s really hard.

A good letter is honest, but also must have a clear investment of time and thought from the writer. This, I can say without reservation, is my highest recommendation.