Some NU staff need lesson in service quality

I’ve had several jobs in my short 20-year lifetime. I’ve worked in almost every realm of customer service imaginable: waiting tables, selling books, selling clothes, selling pastries, teaching tennis – you name it, I’ve done it. The thing that was stressed at each and every job, however, was the same. The human resource folks always instructed us during the training sessions to treat the customers as if they were our own special guests. And I do, I always do. Even when they are a little unbearable.

While I wouldn’t consider students at Northwestern guests, or even customers, they do deserve to be treated politely and not to be looked upon as a burden. But at certain administrative offices on this campus, that simple truth is often ignored.

I once missed the add/drop period for two courses, so I had to get the registrar involved. I knew I had to be as clear as possible with my request, so I wouldn’t have to make more than one trip to the office. I received instructions about what I needed to do to add the two courses and drop two others. A day later I returned with everything completed correctly, just as I was told.

“I’m sorry,” I was told, “I can’t add you into these classes, you need permission numbers.”

My jaw hit the floor. I was explicitly told that if the professor didn’t give me a permission number, all he had to do was sign the form.

“Wait a second,” I said, “that’s not what you said yesterday when I asked if you were sure if that was all I needed to do.”

“Well, the computer won’t let me add you in, so you need the numbers.”

Like in the cartoons, steam was coming out of my ears.

“I’m not coming back with permission numbers, I don’t have time.”

“I guess you won’t get into the classes then.”

By this time, I had lost control. My old temper was kicking in – the one that Andy hated (but more on that later).

“This is ridiculous! Maybe you should think about what you say before you waste my time.”

“Maybe you students should budget your time better, you wouldn’t have to be here had you not missed add/drop.”

“Whatever. I need to talk to someone else. And now.”

The bureaucrat grumbled under his breath. I couldn’t quite make out exactly what he said but it sounded like “split bread.”

This is not the first time that this has happened to me. And I don’t mean to pick on the registrar’s office, but that was bad. I’ve had similar experiences with student accounts, financial aid and housing. I used to think it was just me. But after talking to a few students, I concluded that I am not the only one who thinks that something needs to be done about the way students are treated.

I am sure that it must be a pain to figure out transcripts, dorms, financial aid packages and other crap for students. Hell, I wouldn’t want to do it. But I would try to at least be courteous when doing it. Students aren’t trying to make anyone’s job more difficult; we are just trying to get our school lives straightened out.

Perhaps we should work together so administrative matters don’t become “customer service” nightmares. I’ve dealt with enough of those to last me a lifetime.