Simple greeting can be fraught with difficulty

As a senior, I feel wise in the ways of the Northwestern world. I know what time Evanston stops selling liquor and all about its other inane laws. I have found the exact body position for sleeping in class that makes it appear as if I’m taking notes. Yes, my three years at NU have left me wise in many ways. So, I will graciously dispense a little advice to those of you new to college. And looking back, the best advice I can give is about something I have failed to do: Maintain the “hi basis.”

Wanting to write a column that everyone could relate to, I polled some of my friends to see if the “hi basis” was a common frame of reference that most NU students share. Once I explained the terminology, they all knew what I was talking about.

You establish the “hi basis” after random encounters with people. You chatted with someone while waiting in the absurdly long line for keg beer, or maybe you lamented together why you ever thought it was a good idea to go to Playfair. Maybe you were both “that person” who had to stand up 10 minutes into class when you realized the language the professor was speaking was nowhere near French. The scenarios are endless, but the idea the same: You have established some semblance of a bond with another student.

Then comes that moment of indecision, you see that same person approaching in the harsh, revealing sunlight of Sheridan Road. I can speak only from my own experience: I always find myself in conflict. Do I say “hi” to the person? What if they have don’t remember me? What if they don’t say “hi” back? Should I make eye contact and see if they initiate the hello? Granted, I am more paranoid and socially conscious than your average person, but I am sure many of you out there share at least some of the same insecurities.

College has not been enough to shake my middle-school self. Perhaps the imprint of adolescent anxiety was more lasting in me than in most. I once wore a bike helmet for an entire day of junior high. More than just the random fashion faux pas, though, I was much more middle age than middle school: My prize possession was a “Big Hits of the Big Chill Generation” CD. I actually liked hanging out with my parents. Still, you would think I would have grown out of paralyzing insecurity over such a trivial thing as “hello” at the same time as I got over the tight-rolling jeans trend.

I did not, however, so the answer to all my greeting dilemmas was always simple and standard: no way. I just looked away quickly, hoping that it appeared as if I never saw the person in the first place. I love reading and in that passion I found a cover for my reluctance to establish the “hi basis.” Freshman year, I would walk down Sheridan while reading a book. Sophomore year, I rode my bike; no chance for awkward encounters when you speed past everyone else.

If I could do it all over again, though, I would keep my chin up, look people in the eye and just say hello. Really, what is the worst that could have happened? A few people would get a friendly greeting from an unrecognized stranger. The best? Maybe I would have become friends with more of the interesting people that are right in front of my face.