Hike in price of health care too much for grads

Northwestern graduate students are asking for your support. We’re circulating a petition online about the high cost of grad student health care at NU.

Last month, grads learned that starting next year, NU will increase the cost of our health care from $812 to $1,186. The rate will rise in 2002-03 to $1,421. Payment is made in four fall installments. And for many grads who had already finalized summer plans and 2001-02 budgets, finding another $374 is a significant financial burden.

If you’ve ever wondered what your teaching assistant makes, the proposed fare next year is around $1,438 a month. English grad student John Martin has been circulating a typical September budget for grads, which I’ve modified slightly. Budget $215 for taxes; $550 for rent (too low for many grads); $100 for utilities (again, optimistic); $150 for groceries; $150 for credit card purchases; $50 for travel; $100 for other living expenses; and, finally, $296.50 for health care. What remains: minus $173.50.

All of this assumes this grad actually has TA funding and doesn’t have a car, need textbooks, fly home for Christmas or visit the dentist (not covered). Many grads also cannot work side jobs during the school year because they’d lose funding.

NU didn’t create this problem. Grad life will never be luxurious, and increases were inevitable. Health costs are a national headache. I recently attended a meeting where Interim Vice President for Student Affairs William Banis said NU agonized over the latest price hikes, and I believe him.

That said, the decision to hike prices was given without notification, and thus gave grads little chance to prepare.

The petition we’re circulating asks that in the future, NU include grads and their needs in the decision-making process.

For example, NU did slightly increase TA stipends for next year (included in the above budget) to defray costs. It was a good-faith gesture. But most grads I have talked with would prefer if this money went directly to reducing health premiums, avoiding taxes and benefiting the most vulnerable grads along with the relatively privileged TAs.

Since next year’s budget is nearly finalized, the petition asks that NU look for ways to compensate grads for the $374 in the next one.

Finally, it asks that NU eventually cover the entire cost of grad health insurance. That wouldn’t mean the university covered everything imaginable. There would be a set menu of provided services.

Is the last request market-feasible? Nobody knows for sure. Grads and administrators are still researching the finances and the solutions that comparable programs provide. But Graduate School Dean Richard Morimoto recently told the Graduate Student Association that it might be possible.

Thanks to GSA member Coleman Hutchinson, grads can sign the petition at www.petitiononline.com/ghealth/petition.html. Undergrads also are welcome. There is some overlap of interests, as better pay should attract better TAs. But more importantly, many NU students already know what a budget squeeze feels like, whether it’s to purchase textbooks or airline tickets.

If you’d like to help grads purchase our health care, much thanks.