Going for Gold

Lisa Davis doesn’t have much time to pursue her athletic career.

But the 30-year-old always manages to take time from her busy schedule as a senior journalism major at Harold Washington College in Chicago and a part-time ice-rink operator at the Robert Crown Community Center in Evanston to train.

“I like the competition,” Davis said. “I just want to shoot for the gold.”

And Davis did just that at Sunday’s Special Olympics, placing first in the 50-meter wheelchair slalom motor race.

Despite a cold and chilly start to the events, more than 350 athletes were “all fired up” to shoot for the gold in the 24th annual Suburban Cook County Area 5 Special Olympics Track and Field Meet, held at Glenbrook North High School in Glenview.

With 21 groups of athletes competing in relays, run-walks and field-throwing events, passions were high and losing was not going to be easy to stomach, said Juan Morales, a coach for Morton West High School.

“They’re very competitive,” Morales said. “We practice during school with softballs and we stretch to stay in shape. Our kids are going to do fine. Last year, we took six students to state.”

About 250 NU students volunteered in the events, keeping a constant flow of workers offering many ways to help, said Jen Jelinski, a Medill senior and Special Olympics’ campus outreach co-chair.

“We funded it and organized these events independently,” Jelinski said. “The people in charge here are mostly the students. NU is holding this, essentially.”

Some NU students said they were overwhelmed with the amount of volunteers who helped.

“There’s so many volunteers here,” said Sara Lommel, a Weinberg freshman. “I thought I was going to serve people food. Now, I’m just guarding the bagels, but that’s okay.”

The NU marching band provided the music for the opening ceremonies, along with Melodius Thunk singing the national anthem. In addition to the events on the field, athletes and coaches were able to visit “Olympic Town,” which comprised a carnival, petting zoo and sports clinic.

NU lacrosse Coach Kelly Hiller said the focus of events is on the importance of the “inner worth” in moving toward success on and off the field.

“Instead of being afraid of competitors, the (athletes) see their competition as a gift to strive for their goals,” Hiller said.

While walking through Olympic Town, athletes and volunteers could hear the faint sound of music. The theme song of this year’s events was Pat Benatar’s “All Fired Up,” and the lyrics pounded the event’s message throughout the day: “Livin’ with my eyes closed, goin’ day to day, I never knew the difference, I never cared either way.”

In a statement printed in the official program of the spring games, Eva Kramski and Jamie Aarons, Special Olympic’s executive co-chairs, said the purpose of the games is to “encourage people to celebrate life and its challenges, helping the community work toward inclusion and relationship development.”

Some students like Weinberg junior Javaneh Abbasian said these events give NU students an opportunity to get away from the daily grind of schoolwork and studying.

“It’s a way to give a student a chance to step outside of the bubble of Evanston and celebrate life,” Abbasian said. “I volunteered in high school and you would do it just to take a day off. Here, you can be more of a part of an athlete’s life than just for being there one day a year.”

Around lunchtime, a slight drizzle came and preparations were made to shelter the carnival and keep the games running as scheduled. One young observer was happy to see the sun come out again and the games continue.

“I’m here because I love working for kids with disabilities,” said John Remaly, an 8-year-old from Welling. “I don’t meet these kind of people on the streets everyday. They are just regular people, but different. Different doesn’t mean bad, but it’s better.”