Bernstein running against former aides

The Jan. 23 filing deadline for the city’s aldermanic elections packed a surprise for Fourth Ward Ald. Steven Bernstein: Not only had two opponents appeared in the final seconds, but he now was squaring off against two former supporters.

Mimi Peterson and Peggy Tarr, both longtime city activists, posted petitions to run against Bernstein this April in what was originally projected to be an uncontested race.

“I will be (challenged),” Bernstein said. “I’m being opposed by two competent people.”

Both Peterson and Tarr said they were ready to make their names known.

“I believe the people of the Fourth Ward deserve an active and effective alderman,” said Peterson, who was Bernstein’s campaign co-chairwoman in the last election.

Peterson, co-chairwoman of the Fair Share Action Committee, said increasing town-gown dialogues will be a theme of her campaign. She also named crime prevention and the city budget as major issues.

“As a citizen, I took the initiative to look into the budget,” Peterson said. “Someone needs to get the city budget under control.”

Peterson lobbied in the past to put tree trimming back on the city’s budget, leading aldermen to recommend that the maintenance occur on a regular basis.

Tarr, former leader of the neighborhood group Nichols Neighbors, said she will use her campaign to continue 20 years of advocacy for children, senior citizens and small businesses. She said she also plans to maintain contact with constituents if elected and voice their concerns.

Tarr filed misuse of office charges with the city’s Board of Ethics in November against Bernstein for his involvement in a mural project, accusing him of using his position to unfairly procure the project for an artist.

But says she doesn’t envision any problems between the two during the race.

Like Tarr, Bernstein said he will act as a voice for voters in the upcoming months.

“I’m going to talk to every constituent,” he said. “I would like to see the utopia Evanston can become.”

Bernstein said he also will continue working on balancing the city’s budget, preventing crime and increasing the cash-strapped city’s revenue.

He said his record over the past four years would help him in the race. He has supported the movement to solicit financial contributions to the city from Northwestern, and he was appointed in September to a three-person team to negotiate with NU.

“I’m running on my record,” Bernstein said. “I think I’ve well-served the ward.”

Several debates between the candidates have been scheduled for the upcoming months, including one in March sponsored by the Evanston League of Women Voters.