Prof Drebin addresses ASG; Willie’s bill proposed

Kellogg Prof. Allan Drebin urged students to take an interest in the April 3 municipal elections in a speech Wednesday to Associated Student Government senators.

“You should have a real interest in this election,” Drebin told senators at their weekly meeting. “Northwestern seems to be regarded as an enemy in this city, and that has to stop.”

In the 1997 municipal elections, ASG passed a bill supporting then-Weinberg sophomore Raj Udeshi in his unsuccessful write-in bid to unseat First Ward incumbent Arthur Newman.

Drebin told The Daily he hopes to gain Senate support if they pass a similar measure for this year’s election, but said that was not his reason for addressing ASG.

“I hope that if they choose to support anyone, that it will be me,” he said. “The reason I’m speaking here tonight is to show students how important their vote is in this election.”

Drebin promised senators that if elected, he would listen to all his constituents’ concerns and “try to be balanced.”

He also said he would work for compromise between NU and Evanston, comparing the situation to one commonly found in dorm rooms.

“If you have a roommate, you need to get along with them,” he said. “You need to compromise and work things out together. That’s how Northwestern and Evanston need to interact, and right now that is not happening.”

Senators said they thought electing Drebin would benefit NU.

“He is both an Evanston resident and a professor who knows what students want,” said Sorority Sen. Jordan Walsh, a Speech junior. “Drebin will be able to see both sides and bring us together.”

Academic Vice President Sameer Gafoor said students have the potential to decide the election.

“If students want to see improvement in the relations between Northwestern and the city, they need to get involved in this election because Drebin will allow that to happen,” said Gafoor, a Weinberg senior. “I think he would make a great alderman.”

Also at the meeting, senators debated bills about keeping Willie’s Food Court open past 7:30 p.m. and lowering rental fees for audiovisual equipment from Norris University Center Sound & Sight.

The ASG Student Services Committee presented a bill calling for Norris to keep Willie’s Food Court open until 11 p.m. Student Services Vice President Laura Ellis said the early closing time has drawn several student complaints and she hoped the bill would bring the issue to the attention of Norris administrators.

“This (bill) just opens up communication about (Willie’s),” said Ellis, a Weinberg junior. “I think it will be well-received.”

But Ellis said low late-night traffic in Willie’s and the high cost of staffing the food court might create insurmountable financial hurdles.

“There’s a good possibility that this won’t change, but that’s no reason not to write legislation,” she said.

Senators also discussed a bill calling for Norris Sound & Sight to lower rental costs for items including TV/VCR sets, LCD projectors and wireless lapel microphones.

In what was perhaps the night’s strangest moment, Polish-American Student Association Sen. Art Janik, a Medill senior, lowered the lights in the room, turned on a disco ball and played Polish pop music while reading the bill to the Senate.