Purple Haze gets collegiate a cappella’s high honor

Northwestern a cappella group Purple Haze has been selected to contribute a track to the “Best of College A Cappella 2001” album, the second year in a row that the group has been so honored.

The Contemporary A Cappella Society of America and Varsity Vocals, which produces the albums, selected the group’s cover of “Cornflake Girl” by Tori Amos for the new CD. The track also appears on Purple Haze’s latest album, “Hooray For Everything.”

“Getting on the (“BOCA”) album has been our goal for as long as the group has existed,” said Peter Sandvoss, the 5-year-old coed group’s musical director.

Members said they were particularly excited that “Cornflake Girl” had been selected for the album, which is due out at the end of the month.

“It’s a favorite of most of the people in the group,” said Purple Haze general manager Chris Plevin, who likened the honor to winning a Grammy.

Sandvoss, a Weinberg senior, said the song is “indicative of our repertoire,” which centers on modern pop and 1980s music.

Though Purple Haze will not receive royalties from the sale of the album, the group will have the opportunity to purchase the CDs in bulk at a reduced rate and then resell them for a profit.

“It’s a great thing, financially,” said Mario Jobbe, the group’s business manager. “But it’s more about recognition.”

Members said being selected for the album would be a boon to the group’s efforts at increasing the a cappella presence in the Midwest, a long-standing goal of the group. The group also hopes to network with other college a cappella groups in the area, members said.

Two such groups – Iowa State University and the University of Michigan – were selected by “BOCA” this year. The album also will feature traditional a cappella powerhouses such as the University of Pennsylvania and Stanford University, which boasts three different groups represented on the album.

Among the other tracks on “BOCA” are covers of Madonna’s “Ray of Light,” “I’m Your Baby Tonight” by Whitney Houston and Kermit the Frog’s “Rainbow Connection.”

Plevin, a Speech sophomore, said Purple Haze’s “BOCA” selection was the payoff for hard work by the group.

“We put in an absolutely enormous number of hours last year,” he said. Jobbe added that Purple Haze “is a substantial part of every group member’s life.”

On the heels of its “BOCA” success, Purple Haze is gearing up to compete in the International Championship of Collegiate A cappella. The regional competition is scheduled for Jan. 26 at Michigan State, and the finals will take place in April at Lincoln Center in New York City.

Group members are planning a CD release party for early February.