Everything on the line

WHEN:
11 A.M. SATURDAY
WHERE:
RYAN FIELD
TICKETS:
AVAILABLE
WEATHER:
MOSTLY CLOUDY, HIGH 33
TV/RADIO:
ESPN2, WGN-AM 720, WNUR-FM 89.3

With the bowl picture cloudier than the November Evanston sky, Northwestern and Illinois will be playing for much more than the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk when they square off Saturday at Ryan Field.

Though the No. 23 Wildcats (7-3, 5-2 Big Ten) are virtually assured a postseason game, when and where they play will be determined in part by this weekend’s results. After its devastating loss to Iowa last Saturday, NU needs a Purdue loss coupled with a Michigan win over Ohio State to win the Big Ten outright and head to Pasadena.

Illinois shares NU’s sense of urgency after dropping a heartbreaker to Ohio State last Saturday in Columbus, Ohio. The Fighting Illini, once a favorite to win the Big Ten, currently stand at 5-5 and require a victory over the Cats to qualify for a bowl.

Yet Illinois’ shaky position inspires little sympathy from NU players.

“It’s about us, it’s not about them,” cornerback Harold Blackmon said. “Whatever happens after we beat the Illinois team, it happens, but all we can worry about it what we do. It really doesn’t matter to me whether they go to a bowl or not.”

Added wide receiver Teddy Johnson: “We’re going for this championship and they’re going for this bowl, and I would love to win a championship and ruin their bowl at the same time.”

Even NU coach Randy Walker, who demands total effort in all his practices, admits Saturday’s game holds more meaning for both teams.

“You could tell me it was for a loaf of bread, and I’d like to think we’d get ready to play,” Walker said. “And I believe our kids will come ready to play, but I think they know, I don’t think it’s a secret what’s at stake for both teams.”

Aside from facing NU’s potent offense and tailback Damien Anderson, the nation’s leading rusher, Illinois will be without starting quarterback Kurt Kittner, who suffered a concussion last Saturday against Ohio State. With 1,982 yards and 18 touchdowns this season, Kittner ranks fourth among the Big Ten’s passing leaders, directly below Cats signal-caller Zak Kustok.

Redshirt freshman Dustin Ward will replace Kittner under center. In six games played this year, Ward has attempted only 25 passes, tossing a touchdown and an interception.

Despite Illinois’ quarterback switch, NU players are making few adjustments.

“We’re going on preparing just as if Kittner were playing,” Blackmon said. “Obviously he’s a great quarterback, but every quarterback is dangerous to the defense and that’s the way we feel. So we’re not going to go out here and practice any less tough or whatever just because Kittner’s not going to play.”

Though Kittner will watch from the sidelines, the Cats cannot repeat the mediocre effort they displayed against Iowa. With endless possibilities in the Big Ten on Saturday, NU must beat Illinois, then pray for a miracle.

“As the Big Ten has showed, any team is capable of beating anybody,” Anderson said. “That’s the bad thing about the Big Ten and it’s also the good thing. I think we are the best conference in the country and unfortunately we all have to play each other.”

KEY MATCHUP:

Despite all the talk about the spread offense and the five-wideout sets Northwestern employs, clearly the Cats can go only as far as Anderson can take them. With Anderson stifled time and again against Iowa, the passing game could never take off, and the Cats were humiliated 27-17. Illinois’ Wakefield has tallied an incredible 20 tackles for loss. If he can get around the suddenly malleable NU offensive line and stop Anderson before he can reach second gear, it could be ‘Hello, El Paso’ for the Cats.
– Mark Lazerus

20 – Damien Anderson
NORTHWESTERN
Vitals
5-foot-11, 208 lbs.
Jr. Tailback
Wilmington, Ill.
2000 Statistics (10 games)
254 carries; 1,735 yards (leads nation)
18 TD (leads Big Ten)

vs.

99 – Fred Wakefield
ILLINOIS
Vitals
6-foot-7, 280 lbs.
Sr. Defensive End
Tuscola, Ill.
2000 Statistics (10 games)
20 tackles, 1 forced fumble
9 sacks, 1 INT