State reps urge students to vote, get involved

Addressing this year’s first meeting of the College Democrats, state Reps. Julie Hamos and Lou Lang told 130 students in Norris University Center 1E on Tuesday night to dive into this year’s political campaigns.

“Get more involved than just coming to a meeting,” said Lang, who represents the 16th District, which includes Skokie. “Get involved in electing Democrats.”

The meeting’s aim was to provide students with an opportunity to get involved in campaigns, said Courtney Brunsfeld, president of the group and a Weinberg sophomore. She said the group has grown this year because of the upcoming elections.

Although most of the students there had never before been to one of the group’s meetings, many already were registered to vote and said they were eager to work on various political campaigns and help with campuswide voter registration.

“I believe college students do care,” said Kenny Stolman, a Weinberg senior, who worked for Vice President Al Gore’s presidential campaign this summer. “It’s important to get involved and show people how aware and conscientious we are.”

Lang opened his speech by asking how many in the crowd were registered to vote. “We can’t afford to lose any more Democratic votes, right?” he asked. “We are here because we believe that when most people open their eyes, they are Democrats.”

Lang also called on students to voice their opinions, get the word out and convince their friends and neighbors.

“Do not be afraid to tell your next-door neighbor what we’re all about,” he said. “It’s your job to convince them why you care about government at all. You are here because you know there’s a difference between the parties.”

Lang told students that if they talked to people about issues that matter to them — such as children, health care, a more honest government and the treatment of working families — then people will respond.

Lang said he believes it is “critically important to work with college students.”

“They make some of the best helpers,” he said. “They have not yet been hit with the apathy that permeates society about government. They can be a major factor in winning elections.”

Hamos, who represents the 18th District, which includes Evanston, also said college students were integral to tipping the balance in this year’s election. With the Republicans’ hold on the state Senate tenuous, harnessing young Democratic votes could give the party an edge, she said.

“Illinois is a stalemate,” Hamos said. “Many bills are bottled up — almost all of our really good ideas.”

Before and after the meeting, students had the chance to sign up to work on political campaigns such as Gore’s and state Rep. Lauren Beth Gash’s bid for the U.S. House of Representatives. Gash’s campaign currently is one of the three most important “swing” races in the nation, according to Russell Griffin, a Gash campaign representative. Griffin said the race’s outcome can determine whether Congress will remain in Republican control.

And for those who don’t want to work on an actual campaign but still would like to get involved, they can work for the campuswide voter registration drive, Brunsfeld said. Students can choose to register in Illinois or they can obtain absentee ballots from their home states.

Weinberg freshman Jessica Schmidt said: “I believe in what the Democratic Party stands for, and I’ve always had an interest in politics.”

Speech freshman Jeremy Cohen said the meeting made him better aware of his options.

“It was concise yet convincing,” he said.