NU grad pushes for making a difference

Age should not restrict students from making a difference in their community, Northwestern alumnus and community-relations advocate Greg Siegman told potential NCDC members Tuesday night.

“I hope that all of you realize you’re never too young to leave a legacy,” Siegman told 150 students in the Louis Room at Norris University Center as part of Northwestern Community Development Corps’ annual kick-off.

NCDC invited Siegman, a 1996 Speech graduate and chairman of the 11-10-02 Foundation, a community service group, to spread its message of getting more involved.

“I think it was really powerful and good for this event,” said Erica Sitkoff, NCDC co-chair and a Weinberg senior, after Siegman’s speech.

Siegman, recalling the story that initially inspired him to volunteer, emphasized the importance of turning negatives into positives. Siegman’s friend, Omari Mott, was killed during a drive-by shooting in high school.

“What do you do when friends are killed?” Siegman asked. “My way of dealing with it was trying to turn a negative into a positive. I put aside my life goals and adopted his.”

11-10-02 stands for Nov. 2, 2002, which is Siegman’s 30th birthday and the date by which he and Mott wanted to achieve their goals of breaking down cultural stereotypes and improving societal relations.

Siegman, who substitute teaches when not working for his foundation, raises money for Chicago-area schools and students. At a fund-raiser in June, his foundation received $100,000 in college scholarship money for students.

Siegman has never accepted a salary for his foundation work. In May he was the youngest person to be selected for the 2000 Jefferson Award for Public Service.

He studied at Tulane University for two years before transferring to NU in 1993.

After his graduation, Siegman also created Brunch Bunch, a group of friends and students that go to brunch every weekend. Currently, Siegman has attended 185 consecutive brunches.

“We give people a place to break down cultural barriers,” he said. “There is something really genuine about these friendships.”

Siegman stressed that students interested in volunteering for NCDC should be prepared to make sacrifices.

“There is going to be a price to pay if you want to make a difference,” he said. “There is a real sacrifice.”