All-star turnout

It takes something special to get Northwestern students up and about early on a Sunday morning.

About 350 NU students volunteered Sunday at the 23rd annual Suburban Cook County Area 5 Special Olympics Track and Field Meet, held at Glenbrook South High School in Glenview.

More than 500 athletes from 19 agencies played in the games.

Sheri Benson, an athlete from Richport/Helping Hands who has participated in Special Olympics for 13 years, said competing has given her more confidence and new friendships. In a speech during the opening ceremonies, she advised fellow athletes to “never give up on your dreams and become the best athlete you can be.”

Opening ceremonies were highlighted by Chicago Bears wide receiver and NU graduate D’Wayne Bates, whose involvement with Special Olympics dates back to his undergraduate days.

“I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else right now except here,” Bates told the athletes. “I’ve been an athlete most of my life, and the goal of being an athlete is to have fun. It doesn’t matter who finishes in first, second or third place. The fact that you’re here already has made you winners.”

This year’s theme, “you’re an all-star,” further emphasized that idea.

“We think the true all-stars are the parents who drive their kids to practice, the volunteers without which Special Olympics wouldn’t happen, the coaching program and the people who work at the various agencies, and of course, the athletes,” said Eric Austin, coaches coordinator and Weinberg senior.

NU is responsible for coordinating all of the day-long event, said Betsy Doherty, volunteer coordinator and Weinberg senior. Volunteers participated in all aspects of Special Olympics, serving as athletes’ coaches and helping with food, awards, transportation, spirit and family activity programs.

This year, NU student involvement almost doubled, said Heather Wade, volunteer coordinator and Education senior.

“We’ve seen a steady rise in the numbers of volunteers over the past few years,” Doherty said. “It may be because the Special Olympics organization has gotten a lot bigger on campus.”

What is unique about Special Olympics, said Jenny Zawila, community outreach co-chairwoman and Speech senior, is that “so many different student groups don’t normally collaborate on the same kind of project.”

NU cheerleaders, the Ladycats and the marching band helped kick off the opening ceremonies. Dorms, fraternities and sororities sponsored carnival booths and agency tents, which are gathering places for the groups of athletes.

There were athletic clinics for the olympians taught by teams, including the NU women’s tennis team and the soccer team. NU performers included Griffin’s Tale, Sweet Sweet Candy and Big Jim Slade.

“The involvement is proof positive that NU students are integrating into the larger community,” Zawila said. “They are making a difference in the place they call home for four years.”