NU campuses in Evanston, Chicago to remain open following UChicago gun threat

Drew Gerber, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern announced Sunday evening that both Evanston and Chicago campuses would operate as normal on Monday, following an online gun violence threat at the University of Chicago’s Hyde Park campus.

After receiving information of the potential attack on Sunday from FBI counterterrorism officials, the University of Chicago announced that all classes and activities at the campus were canceled for Monday, said the university’s president, Robert Zimmer, in an email to the school’s community. The threat, posted by an unknown individual, the email said, indicated a time — 10 a.m. Monday morning — and specifically mentioned the university’s campus quad.

Northwestern has not received any reports of threats against the university, and it has been in communication with the FBI and local law enforcement agencies, according to an email sent to the NU community Sunday night. The email also said University Police will have an enhanced police and security presence on both the Chicago and Evanston campuses.

With no information that there is an increased danger to the NU community, the email said classes and activities will operate normally on both campuses on Monday.

In light of recent gun violence at other universities and the FBI’s assessment of the threat as legitimate, UChicago “decided in consultation with federal and local law enforcement officials to exercise caution” to cancel all classes and activities on the Hyde Park campus until midnight on Monday, Zimmer said. He asked students, non-medical faculty and non-essential staff to not come to campus, or to remain indoors if they already are on campus.

Additionally, the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, university libraries and other campus facilities will be closed on Monday, he said. However, Zimmer said the University of Chicago Medical Center will remain open under additional security measures.

UChicago will have increased police and security presence, as well as “close contact” with the FBI as it investigates the threat, he said.

Twitter: @dagerber