Women’s Basketball: Northwestern wins three to sweep Lone Star Showcase slate

Maggie Lyon fights through a crowd of defenders as she goes toward the basket. The senior guard was crucial to the Cats success at the Lone Star Shootout as she poured in 57 points total in the three contests.

Daily file photo by Annabel Edwards

Maggie Lyon fights through a crowd of defenders as she goes toward the basket. The senior guard was crucial to the Cats’ success at the Lone Star Shootout as she poured in 57 points total in the three contests.

Max Schuman, Assistant Sports Editor

Women’s Basketball

The Thanksgiving holiday was no break for Northwestern as the No. 19 Wildcats (6-0) took down three opponents in three days to sweep its schedule in the Lone Star Showcase, the only team in the eight-team field to do so.

NU closed out its time in Cedar Point, Texas, by edging East Carolina (6-2) 78-75 on Saturday. Senior guard Maggie Lyon led the Cats to victory on the night, matching her career-best scoring effort by notching 26 points.

It was another in a string of solid performances from Lyon in Texas, as she netted 21 points in Friday’s 75-52 victory over Creighton (4-2) and pulled in 10 rebounds to go along with 10 points in Thursday’s 74-70 win against Eastern Washington (3-4).

NU led the Pirates by double figures in the third quarter of Saturday’s matchup, but wasn’t able to put East Carolina away until a layup by junior guard Christen Inman with 11 seconds remaining put the Cats ahead for good.

Inman was also instrumental in Thursday’s victory over the Eagles, as her career-high 28 points kept Eastern Washington at bay to seal another close NU victory.

Star forward, junior Nia Coffey, continued her strong start to the year in Texas, as she grabbed two double-doubles in points and rebounds in the three games.

The Cats will look to stay undefeated as they travel to Chapel Hill for a game against North Carolina on Wednesday.

Email: [email protected].edu