Evanston police officers attend funeral of slain New York police detective

Evanston police Sgt. Tracy Williams and officer Nathaniel Basner are shown attending the funeral for New York police officer Wenjian Liu on Jan. 4. The two Evanston officers joined thousands of others from around the nation in paying their respects to Liu, who was slain on the job last month.

Source: Evanston Police Department

Hal Jin, Reporter

Two Evanston Police Department officers attended the funeral of New York police officer Wenjian Liu, who was ambushed and killed last month in a Brooklyn neighborhood.

Though neither Sgt. Tracy Williams nor Officer Nathaniel Basner knew Liu personally, the two flew to Brooklyn with donations from other EPD officers for Liu’s family. There they joined thousands of police officers from across the country on Jan. 4 to mourn Liu’s death, which occurred amid nationwide scrutiny of law enforcement.

“(Liu) did the same thing I do, just for a different state,” Williams said. “All officers are out every day, no matter what city or state, putting their lives on the line to protect citizens. (EPD officers) leave home, and we don’t know if we’re going to come back. It’s the same with officers in New York.”

Liu and his partner Rafael Ramos were killed Dec. 20 in an unprovoked shooting. The gunman, Ismaaiyl Brinsley, claimed on social media that his actions were driven by anger about the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown.

Garner died July 17 in Staten Island, New York during a confrontation with the NYPD. The cause of death, according to medical reports, was a chokehold used by one of the officers. Brown was shot in the back and killed on Aug. 9 by a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. Garner and Brown were unarmed when attacked, and the officers considered for charges in both men’s deaths were not indicted.

Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl issued a statement by email Tuesday addressing the “issues of fairness, transparency, and effectiveness of the actions” of Evanston’s law enforcement.

In the email, Tisdahl wrote that EPD’s composition “reflects the diversity of our community” and applauded the department’s success in connecting with the community.

According to data obtained by The New York Times, 30 percent of Evanston police officers are black, compared to 18 percent of Evanston residents, and 62 percent of officers are white, compared to 61 percent of residents.

“EPD works with City of Evanston departments and community partners to address community problems together,” Tisdahl said. “EPD officers participate in ward meetings, work closely with City outreach workers, and have a regular presence through school resource officers at Evanston Township High School. All of us owe a debt of gratitude to the officers of the Evanston Police Department for their fine work.”

There is no known danger out of the ordinary being posed to EPD officers amid recent scrutiny of law enforcement, Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. Moreover, to his knowledge, no steps are being taken to increase the safety of Evanston officers because of Liu’s death and related events, he said.

However, Williams expressed concern that recent events have made his profession more dangerous.

“There’s always been an inherent danger to the job,” he said. “But now, with all the media and two officers were assassinated, it’s bringing more attention to the individuals who may want to take that chance to shoot one of us.”

Dugan said recent police shootings were not a factor in the EPD considering the use of body cameras. 

Williams said the tragic events have increased his passion for his job.

“It makes me want to do more for the city of Evanston, let them know that we’re here for them,” he said.

Dugan and Williams both declined to comment on their personal views regarding the judicial decision in Ferguson.

Twitter: @apricityhal