Ludlow will not teach Winter Quarter

Ally Mutnick, Managing Editor

Philosophy Prof. Peter Ludlow is not teaching for the third consecutive quarter this winter.

On CAESAR, Ludlow is scheduled to teach an independent study and two senior tutorials in the philosophy department, but University spokesman Al Cubbage said Thursday that Ludlow will not teach any classes next quarter.

He stopped teaching in March following student protests that took place after a Medill senior filed a Title IX lawsuit against the University, accusing Ludlow of sexually assaulting her in February 2012.

Ludlow last taught two 300-level classes in Winter Quarter 2014. In March, Northwestern canceled a 200-level class that Ludlow was scheduled to teach in the spring. He is also not teaching this quarter.

The news comes more than a week after Ludlow filed a defamation lawsuit against the Medill senior, saying she cost him employment opportunities at NU and prospective employment at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey when she falsely accused him of sexual assault. 

According to Ludlow’s suit, the student made “repeated false statements to Northwestern faculty and administration, media entities, and in both federal and state lawsuits.” He is asking for more than $120,000 in damages, according to the suit.

Ludlow’s defamation claim is the third lawsuit to come in the aftermath of the student’s initial Title IX suit. In addition to suing NU, the student also sued Ludlow in February under the Illinois Gender Violence Act. In June, Ludlow sued NU for gender discrimination and defamation.

The University denied wrongdoing in the Title IX lawsuit, claiming it disciplined Ludlow by denying him a pay raise for the 2012-13 academic year and revoking his appointment to an endowed professorship.

Editor’s note: This post was updated for clarity at 4:55 a.m. Friday.

Twitter: @allymutnick