Evanston man arrested after police recover loaded gun

Ciara McCarthy, Editor in Chief

Police arrested an Evanston man Sunday in connection with unlawful possession of a loaded​ gun. The man, Jamir Johnson,​ is a convicted felon, police said.

Officers observed Johnson with the gun when they stopped the car he was in for a routine traffic violation ​at 1:25 a.m​.​ Police said they saw Johnson sitting in the car’s passenger seat holding the weapon.

Johnson, 21,​​ fled the scene on foot when officers attempted to take him into custody. Police caught up with him ​along the Chicago Transit Authority tracks ​near the 1400 block of Brummel Street. Officers recovered a loaded 9mm handgun after arresting Johnson. Police said he resisted arrest and that the two arresting officers suffered minor injuries.

The ​Evanston​ man was on parole at the time of arrest and the Illinois Department of Corrections ​​ issued a parole violation ​warrant ​ following the incident, police said. Police arrested Johnson in connection with four charges, including unlawful use of a weapon by a convicted felon and two counts of aggravated battery to a peace officer. ​

Johnson is scheduled to appear in ​bond court Monday afternoon.

“The Evanston Police Department strictly enforces individuals illegally possessing firearms as a part of a violence reduction strategy,” Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said in a news release.

Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara