KASA Show 2024 hosts a night at the ‘osKArs’

Kelley Lu/The Daily Northwestern
KASA Show featured students singing, dancing, acting and demonstrating taekwondo, such as a cover performance of Jay Park’s “Mommae.”

With an audience of over 500 to cheer on singing, dancing and taekwondo performances, KASA Show closed out with a win at the “osKArs” Friday night.

The Korean American Student Association hosted its annual show at the Technological Institute, with this year’s theme being the “osKArs.” With a show committee of over 40 people to cater to KASA’s over 600 members, the event is the club’s biggest of the year. 

Weinberg senior and KASA co-President Christine Lee said the show is an opportunity to invite the broader Northwestern community to learn about and celebrate Korean American culture beyond what’s featured in the media.

“Our KASA community really united together going into the show to be able to show how strong the Korean identity is overall at Northwestern,” said Weinberg junior and KASA executive member Edward Seo.

Featuring categories like “Best in Romance” and “Best in Entertainment,” KASA members acted out dramatic scenes in skits inspired by the Oscars theme.

Lee said the theme pays homage to the success of the Korean American film “Past Lives” in awards ceremonies last year.

“We want to take some of that energy, so we chose the ‘osKArs’ because we thought it would be a great way to showcase our performers but also celebrate the achievements of our community,” Lee said.

KASA held a Culture Week leading up to the show. Events included a barbecue lunch, a Korean coffeehouse and painting The Rock, each highlighting a different aspect of the Korean American community on campus, Lee added. 

Lee said while planning Culture Week adds a layer of chaos to the preparations, it built anticipation for the KASA Show.

“It makes it a lot more exciting and rewarding because every day is a day to celebrate before KASA Show,” Lee said. “We wanted to have events where we can engage with the greater NU community.”

Lee said the committee chose Hojean, a Korean American artist, as the show’s headliner because he’s increasing in popularity.

Hojean’s music leans more upbeat, which Lee said caters well to a college audience. 

“He did a really good job keeping the energy and interacting with the people,” Seo said. 

NU’s Taekwondo Club was also a highlight for many attendees. Following a six-part sequence, the group closed out the first half of the show with a pose of a giant heart. 

Seo said though he doesn’t get the chance to see the team perform often, it was nice to see them “showcase their talents.” 

“The taekwondo showed different cultures of martial arts in Korea, so I thought it was a very good cultural experience,” said McCormick freshman Jeremiah So, who attended the show. 

Other acts of KASA Show were performed by the organization’s members. KASA singers danced and interacted with the crowd, and KASA Presents featured student-led dances to Korean pop songs. 

Many of the performers had little experience singing or dancing before the show. Weinberg sophomore Alan Guo said he and his friends signed up with no dance experience, but they enjoyed their time on stage and seeing the culmination of their hard work. 

“Honestly, I was pretty nervous right before performing in front of the big crowd,” Guo said. “I think next year, I can even aim to do an even harder dance.”

For the first time in KASA’s history, the group also announced the presidents for the upcoming academic year during the show.

Weinberg juniors Janice Yim and Esther Tang will take over the organization and plan of next year’s KASA Show.

“That’s going to be a great way to pass the torch and end our career as presidents on a high note, but also begin the new journey and a new chapter on a high note as well,” Lee said. 

X: @kelleylu_