Rapid Recap: Maryland 75, No. 21 Northwestern 59

Jacob Wendler/Daily Senior Staff

Senior guard Boo Buie handles the rock. After dropping 35 points versus Illinois Thursday, the senior cooled down against Maryland, finishing with a season-low of four points.

Lawrence Price, Senior Staffer

No. 21 Northwestern’s second half breakdown Thursday against Illinois was a tough pill to swallow for coach Chris Collins and his crew, especially when the group was 0.5 games back from clinching first place in the Big Ten conference. 

Despite the urge of getting back into the win column, the Wildcats (20-9, 11-7 Big Ten) experienced a similar fate Sunday at College Park, Md. in a cataclysmic 75-59 loss to Maryland (20-9, 11-7 Big Ten) . With NU earning their second straight loss, it’s only inevitable that the Cats’ historic late-season ranking in the AP Top 25 will soon be no more come Monday. 

NU will have to wait till Wednesday versus Penn State to reach another milestone — the most conference wins in a single season with 12. 

After an electric first half, where both teams racked up 80 points, the Terrapins  kept up their long, effective strides in the second block of 20-minutes, while the Cats’ ran out of steam.

Here are a few takeaways from the Sunday loss.

Takeaways:

1. Boo Buie goes cold offensively yet ties season-high in assists.  

Not only was senior guard Boo Buie’s Thursday night performance a one to remember, it was like no other for multiple reasons. Buie’s 35-point meal deal was a career high, scoring more points in the first half than Illinois’ entire team, but he also finished with zero assists — the first time all season and nearly a year. Although both teams combined for 13 dishes, one must wonder if the lack of ball movement was a reason for their win streak snapping.

However, this wasn’t a problem Sunday for Buie, dishing out assists left and right throughout the first half, picking up all seven of the Cats’ assists in the half. The senior shot only four times in the 20-minute span, not finding the basket till nearly the two and half minute mark were left on the clock. Yet, the top of the key three he netted gave NU a two-point lead at the time.

Buie’s belated Valentine’s Day gift to his teammates of spreading the love was an essential piece to the pie, but with a season-low of four points, it wasn’t enough to carry the Wildcats to victory.

1. NU’s luck continues to be unlucky, as Maryland shoots its season-best from field

Maryland’s Senior Day celebration proved to be game-changing for the Terrapins, having the hot hand all over the floor throughout the contest. Although NU stunted the second-best defense when it came to opponent field goal percentage, their calling card didn’t have much of an effect on the Terrapins, as they shot 53.8 percent from the field and 63.6 percent from behind the arc.

One of college’s bottom-30 teams in three point shooting entering the contest, Maryland was lights out against the Cats’ swarmful perimeter defense, largely due to their number of playmakers. 

The Terrapins finished with five players in double-digits, a tall task in any college basketball game, while Audige and junior center Matthew Nicholson were the only ones for the Cats’.

Whenever a team shoots at this high of a clip, it will be difficult for any team to overcome.  

1. Cats’ second half breakdown once again seals their fate in loss.

Redshirt senior guard Chase Audige and Maryland guard Jahmir Young were cooking it up for their respective squads in the first half, combining for 30 points in the first half. The two catalysts played a major role in both team’s success in the Xfinity Center, leading the way in a back and forth matchup.

However, with both guards cooling down in the second bunch of 20 minutes to play, Young’s supporting cast picked up the load and continued to score at a high rate. NU, on the other hand, had no player score over six points in the second half.

After getting outscored 47-25 against Illinois in the second half Thursday, the Cats’ didn’t do much better Sunday versus Maryland, getting outscored 34-20. An issue that is beginning to become recurring, coach Collins and his squad need to make some tweaks with post season play just around the corner.

Twitter: @LPIII_TRES