Four Northwestern professors receive National Science Foundation award

Daily file photo by Brian Meng

Crowe Hall. The African American Studies department’s name change aims to better reflect its work in understanding conceptions of race beyond regional and national boundaries.

Lexi Goldstein, Assistant Campus Editor

The National Science Foundation recognized four Northwestern assistant professors with the Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, the University announced Thursday.

The award supports early-career faculty in becoming academic role models and leaders in their departments, according to NSF. 

The award recipients — Christos Dimoulas, Xiumin Du, Daniel Horton and Hatim Rahman — will each receive funding from NSF divisions over the next five years. 

Computer science Prof. Dimoulas will receive $534,000 from NSF’s Division of Computing and Communication Foundations. The funding will go toward his NSF CAREER project, in which he plans to establish a new empirical technique to evaluate programming languages features, according to a University press release. 

Mathematics Prof. Du will receive $498,420 from NSF’s Division of Mathematical Sciences. According to the release, she will apply the funding toward researching weighted Fourier extension estimates — a data smoothing technique.

Earth and planetary sciences Prof. Horton will receive $600,000 from NSF’s Division of Chemical, Bioengineering, Environmental and Transport Systems. He aims to study inequities and public health implications within transportation electrification, the release said. 

Prof. Rahman, who specializes in management and organizations at the Kellogg School of Management, will receive $485,595 from the Division of Social and Economic Sciences. He will use the research funds to explore methods of empowering more adults who did not attend college to pursue higher-paying professions in the STEM field, according to the release. 

Twitter: @lexipgoldstein