History Prof. wins Bethwell A. Ogot Prize for best East African studies book

Daily file photo by Joshua Hoffman

Harris Hall houses Schoenbrun’s office. He won the Bethwell A. Ogot Prize, which is awarded by the African Studies Association each year and recognizes the best book on East African studies.

Pavan Acharya, Campus Editor

History Prof. David Schoenbrun was awarded the 2022 Bethwell A. Ogot Prize in December for his book, “The Names of the Python: Belonging in East Africa, 900 to 1930,” according to a University press release.

Each year, the African Studies Association awards the prize, which is named for distinguished Kenyan historian Bethwell A. Ogot, for the best book on East African studies.

Schoenbrun’s most recent publication highlights diverse forms of groupwork in East Africa and examines the origins of nationhood in the region.

“This book is a masterclass in the reconstruction of Africa’s deeper past,” The Journal of African History wrote in a review.

Schoenbrun has authored multiple other books on African history, including “The Historical Reconstruction of Great Lakes Bantu Cultural Vocabulary: Etymologies and Distributions.”

Twitter: @PavanAcharya02