Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz projected to win Illinois District 17 state Rep. race

Illustration by Olivia Abeyta

State Rep. Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz (D-Glenview) is projected to win the Illinois State House District 17 representative race.

Yiming Fu, Staff Editor

State Rep. Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz (D-Glenview) is projected to win the District 17 state Rep. by a margin of 13,404 votes, with 86% of the vote in, according to unofficial election results. 

The incumbent Democrat won 70.19% percent of the vote in Tuesday’s unofficial count. Her opponent Bradley Martin received 29.91% of the vote. 

Gong-Gershowitz has served residents of Evanston’s 6th Ward who live west of McDaniel Avenue since 2019. She is a lawyer and the former director of the North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic, which provides free legal services for housing, immigration and domestic violence law. 

One of Gong-Gershowtiz’s biggest policies during her most recent term was the TEAACH Act, which mandated Illinois public schools teach a unit of Asian American history. She also contributed to legislation such as the Reproductive Health Act in 2019, which continues to protect abortion rights in Ilinois after Roe v Wade was overturned in June.

Gong-Gershowitz’s priorities include public education, environmental protections, women’s rights and immigration rights. She is the chair of the state house’s Judiciary Civil Committee and Immigration and Human rights committees, and she sits on the Mental Health and Environment and Energy committees as well. 

Bradley Martin is the founder of the Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies and a senior fellow at the Haym Solomon Center, a public policy group aimed at combating antisemitism and advocating for the First Amendment. 

Martin said he would rescind the SAFE-T Law, which furthers police reforms like requiring body cameras at departments statewide by 2025, as well as expanding detainee rights. Martin’s top issues include public safety, school choice and Illinois’ economy. 

Gong-Gershowitz has secured her third state house term after tonight’s election.

This is a developing story, and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Email: @[email protected]

Twitter: @yimingfuu