NU student critically injured at Bobb in Wednesday night incident

Content warning: This story contains mentions of a critical injury.

A Northwestern student residing at Bobb Hall was critically injured Wednesday night.

There was no foul play involved, and the student is currently under care at a local hospital, Mona Dugo, assistant vice president for wellness and dean of students, said in a Thursday email. The University is not providing further information at this time out of respect for the student’s privacy, Dugo said.

“We encourage you to take time for yourself and each other, and extend extra grace to friends, classmates and colleagues who might be struggling today and in the days ahead,” Dugo said.

In a Wednesday night email sent to Bobb and McCulloch Hall residents, Residential Services acknowledged that a “tragic incident” had happened. It added that representatives from Residential Services and the Dean of Students Office, as well Counseling and Psychological Services counselors, were available to support Bobb and McCulloch residents. CAPS and Religious and Spiritual Life representatives will also be available on-site at the McCulloch lounge until 8 p.m. Thursday, Dugo said. 

“Our immediate focus is on helping the student and any student who has been affected,” the Residential Services email said. 

The email also encouraged anyone in need of immediate help to call the Resident Assistant on duty or use the free TimelyCare app for virtual mental health support.

NU also postponed a coffee and doughnuts meet-and-greet event with University President Michael Schill that was scheduled at Deering Meadow on Thursday morning. Schill, interim Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Lampkin and trained professionals were still available at Deering Meadow to speak with students, staff and faculty about the incident. 

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the student and their family,” the University wrote in an email announcing the postponement. 

If you are in crisis, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988, or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more details are available.