Softball: No. 18 Northwestern endures five close games at Mary Nutter Classic

Daily file photo by Joshua Hoffman

Jordyn Rudd swings at a pitch. Rudd had game-winning plays against both Oregon and San Diego State.

Nathan Ansell, Assistant Sports Editor

For much of last weekend, No. 18 Northwestern looked like it could beat anyone in the nation. However, at times, the Wildcats were simply outclassed by teams that didn’t come close to last year’s NCAA Tournament.

NU (10-4, 0-0 Big Ten) took its nearly annual trip to Southern California for the Mary Nutter Classic, a tournament that the Cats have participated in for more than 15 years. Coach Kate Drohan mentioned the experience of playing in front of thousands of West Coast fans as a welcome-to-college-softball moment for the first-year players.

“It’s a great atmosphere, and the matchups are incredible,” Drohan said. “This is an event that we look forward to every year.”

The weekend began with a defensive battle against No. 9 Oregon (11-3, 0-0 Pac-12). Senior catcher Jordyn Rudd provided the game’s only score with a fourth-inning blast to center, as senior pitcher Danielle Williams allowed just two hits across all seven innings.

Rudd also provided the game-winning tag at the plate after receiving a throw from senior outfielder Angela Zedak as the Ducks’ tying run headed home.

“Our outfielders are so good at throwing home,” Rudd said. “Catching the ball and (tagging) is easy when they make a good throw like that.”

Friday’s second game, a showdown with San Diego State (11-5, 0-0 Mountain West), was much more offense-heavy. Senior infielder Nikki Cuchran opened the scoring with a second-inning solo home run, her first of three extra-base hits against the Aztecs.

Graduate outfielder Rachel Lewis added a homer herself, and both Zedak and sophomore infielder Hannah Cady brought in runs, but it was Rudd once again with the clutch play. She drove a single through the gap to give NU a 7-6 victory in nine innings.

Even after pitching a complete game earlier, Williams contributed two shutout innings in relief — particularly impressive given the extra-innings rule where a runner starts on second base. She credited her defensive assistance for a second strong performance that day.

“(It’s) just being there for my team, knowing that they have my back, and I have theirs,” Williams said. 

Williams produced another gem against No. 5 Washington, allowing just three hits in another complete-game shutout. Lewis sent a pitch over the left field fence in the fourth inning, enough to give the Cats a 1-0 win, their third against a top ten opponent this season.

Cal State Fullerton (10-5, 0-0 Big West) gave NU a rude awakening in the afternoon, however, piling on seven runs in the first inning. The Cats bravely fought back, answering with five runs in the fifth inning. They even had the winning run on base in the seventh, but it wasn’t to be, as the Titans claimed a 9-8 win.

“We just lost our focus in that first inning,” Drohan said. “We need to keep our composure a little better than we did.”

NU finished their tournament schedule with a rematch against Texas Tech (5-10, 0-0 Big 12), a squad the Cats had beaten nine days before. The Red Raiders proved a tougher foe this time, pitching six shutout innings until freshman infielder Grace Nieto hit her first career homer to cut the deficit to 4-2.

The contest ended shortly afterward, however, as NU couldn’t generate any further offense.

“That game really showed us what we need to work on,” Rudd said. “Being ready from the get-go.”

Drohan’s squad returns from California to face a five-game schedule in Carbondale next weekend.

For the veteran coach, it’s a chance to get back on track.

“It’s definitely shifting gears, playing regionally,” Drohan said. “A new system, some potential weather changes, but I think our team is excited not to get on an airplane.”

Twitter: @nathanjansell