Football: Adetomiwa Adebawore shines for Northwestern’s defense in 2021

Joanne Haner/The Daily Northwestern

Adetomiwa Adebawore rushes the quarterback. The junior defensive end has 4.5 sacks on the season so far.

Gabriela Carroll, Senior Staffer

Northwestern’s defense has had its share of struggles this season. 

The unit currently gives up the third-most points in the Big Ten and the most rushing yards in the conference. But the Wildcats may have a bright spot on the defensive line in junior Adetomiwa Adebawore.

The Kansas City, Mo., native has been a difference-maker with two forced fumbles, 4.5 sacks, eight tackles for loss and 23 solo tackles in nine games. 

“Adetomiwa (is) an athletic freak, he’s explosive and it’s nice to be playing behind a guy who can be so disruptive in the backfield,” sophomore linebacker Bryce Gallagher said. “He’s had a phenomenal year so far, and that’s not just on Saturdays. You see that every single day in practice. He’s an absolute freak of nature, and it’s definitely nice to be playing behind him.”

Adebawore was a three-star recruit and chose NU over Washington State, Yale and Navy, among others. In his freshman season, he finished with five solo tackles and one sack, and he was the first true freshman to start a game that season.

The following year, the defensive end had 11 solo tackles, six tackles for loss and two sacks.

This season, Adebawore is on track for All-Big Ten status. Against Rutgers, he forced his first career fumble and tallied four tackles for loss — the highest single-game total by an NU player since former defensive end Joe Gaziano in 2018. He notched a career-high 1.5 sacks against Indiana State and tied a career high with four tackles versus Nebraska. Adebawore also batted down two passes against Duke.

“I’ve grown just with more reps,” Adebawore said. “Just seeing what moves work for me, what moves don’t, and seeing how offensive linemen have been beat and just learning from other guys who have used moves on them.” 

Week after week, Adebawore says he’s focused on the fundamentals. With defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil installing a new scheme this season, that focus has helped him excel amid the unit’s struggles. 

Adebawore is quiet, according to defensive line coach Marty Long. But he’s recently emerged as a vocal leader of the young NU defensive group. 

“He came in as a very quiet young man, and now he talks,” Long said. “He leads by example, and now he’s a vocal leader. The guys respect him a lot. I’m hoping and praying that he comes back next year and he’s a captain for us.”

What stands out most about Adebawore is his commitment to growth and improvement, Long said. But it’s not just the differences on his own scoresheet. 

Long said he remembers going over film with Adebawore of a play he missed his freshman season that ended up gaining the opposing team massive yardage. This season, Adebawore made the tackle on a similar play, and the opponent lost 5 yards, Long said. 

“He’s a guy that comes to work every single day,” Long said. “He’s extremely smart, a student of the game, and plays hard. He always calls me at all different times to ask me questions about the game. I really, really like coaching him. He’s one of the strongest players that we have.”

That strength has translated into game-changing plays. In last Saturday’s game against Iowa, Adebawore sacked quarterback Alex Padilla on first down, leading to junior wide receiver Raymond Niro III’s blocked punt on fourth down. The Cats only allowed 180 yards following that play. 

NU’s (3-6, 1-5 Big Ten) upcoming opponent, No. 18 Wisconsin (6-3, 4-2), is notorious for having a strong offensive line, and this year is no exception. The Badgers are tied for third in sacks allowed this season, having allowed just 14. Wisconsin also has the Big Ten’s second-best rushing offense, averaging 222.6 yards per game.

So how is Adebawore planning to penetrate the Badgers’ line? 

“The fundamentals, being physical,” he said. “Wisconsin’s O-line is really good, so we need to make sure we’re honing in on our fundamentals: using our hands, attacking, staying low.”

Twitter: @gablcarroll