Introducing: Illinois Divided

Drew Schott, Gameday Editor

Northwestern and Illinois faced off for the first time on the gridiron on Oct. 12, 1892, in Champaign, Ill.

A 16-16 tie marked the beginning of one of the longest rivalries in college football, which will host its 115th iteration on Nov. 27. 

The stakes are high. A seventh consecutive win by the Wildcats will tie the longest victory streak in the rivalry and even the in-state schools at 55 head-to-head wins, while a Fighting Illini victory would earn coach Bret Bielema the Land of Lincoln Trophy in his inaugural season. 

To recognize this historic matchup, The Daily Northwestern and The Daily Illini are partnering on a joint issue and fundraising competition. 

Welcome to Illinois Divided. 

Ahead of the Thanksgiving weekend clash, reporters from both student papers will craft articles, interactive timelines, videos and more encompassing the rivalry’s storied past and recent history. We’ve commenced planning for the issue and are looking forward to sharing our content on the Illinois Divided website later this month. 

Our fundraising competition with The Daily Illini will begin on Nov. 1 and run until the two in-state rivals face off at Memorial Stadium. As COVID-19 continues to impact both newsrooms, your support would help NU and Illinois’ student journalists continue their important work.  

Stay tuned for updates about our content and the status of the fundraising competition. Make sure to also showcase your Wildcat spirit by donating to The Daily Northwestern so we can beat The Daily Illini. 

We are so grateful for your support and readership and can’t wait to share the issue with you all.

How you can help:

Click here to make a fully tax-deductible gift to The Daily through Northwestern University. Be sure to designate The Daily. You can pay by credit card over the phone, via the Development Office at 1-800-222-5603. Contact Julie Frahar, Director of Development, Medill, with questions at [email protected]. Her mailing address: Alumni Relations & Development, 1201 Davis St., Evanston, IL 60208.

OR

Donate via PayPal or send a check directly to Students Publishing Company, Inc. (the non-profit parent company of The Daily). Please include a mailing address with donations in order to receive acknowledgement for your tax records. Mail checks to: The Daily Northwestern, 1999 Campus Drive, Evanston, IL 60208.

Twitter: @dschott328