Women’s basketball looks to keep up its successful recent run

Gabriela Carroll, Senior Staffer

While Northwestern failed to repeat its 2019-20 Big Ten Championship win last season, the Wildcats remained near the top of the league and qualified for the NCAA Tournament. But NU failed to capitalize on an early lead and lost in the second round to Louisville.

The Cats will be looking to continue the upward trajectory the program has been on over the past few seasons, led by coach Joe McKeown. NU is known for strong defense, averaging 11.5 steals, 4.1 blocks, and 21.6 points per game off turnovers last season. 

With Lindsey Pulliam graduated, NU looks to replace her offensive production on the court while maintaining their stellar blizzard defense. Pulliam started every game of her career with the Cats and was the team’s second leading scorer last season, behind senior Veronica Burton. 

Burton won the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year award in the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons and had a breakout offensive season last year, averaging a team-leading 16.2 points per game. With Pulliam gone, Burton maintaining her offensive pace from the 2020-21 season will provide a big boost to a primarily defensive team.

Twitter: @gablcarroll