Lollapalooza 2019: Day 3 recap

Greg Noire/Lollapalooza 2019

J Balvin made history as Lollapalooza’s first Latinx headliner, and his energetic, flamboyant set did not disappoint.

Andrea Bian and Marissa Martinez

The second half of Lolla continued on Saturday, with crowds continuing to show out in the humid weather for another star-studded schedule. Here are the highlights from Day 3:

Pink Sweat$ slows it down

Soul singer Pink Sweat$ gave the crowd exactly what it wanted — chill vibes and soulful tracks. Although he is relatively new to the music scene, a large crowd still showed up to the American Eagle stage to witness some of his more popular songs, including “Honesty” and “Cocaine.” After addressing the crowd and engaging with audience members, Sweat$ referenced his EPs, “Volume 1” and “Volume 2,” making for a genuine and relaxed set.

Bubbly Chelsea takes the stage

Twenty-two-year-old Chelsea Cutler exuded unflappable positive energy in her late afternoon set. Against a blue-and-purple backdrop depicting clouds and her name, Cutler told the crowd how honored she was to play Lollapalooza. She proceeded to play some of her popular hits from her “Sleeping with Roses” EP, including “Lonely Alone” and “The Reason,” hyping up the crowd throughout. Cutler also surprised fans by bringing out Quinn XCII, who joined her in performing their collaboration “Flare Guns.” Cutler was very active in moving around the stage and interacted with her band, sometimes standing on the top of the drum set during her performance.

Lil Wayne delivers the hits

Lil Wayne played on the Bud Light Stage on Saturday evening to a massive crowd that knew every word to his many hits. While Wayne’s latest hits — “Uproar” and “Let It Fly” — were unsurprisingly received well by fans, part of Wayne’s longevity and ubiquity can be chalked up to his frequent features on the tracks of other popular hip-hop artists. Wayne performed his verses of “The Motto,” which he recorded with Drake, and “No Problem,” a hit he was featured on by Chicagoan Chance the Rapper. While the performances of segments of songs were often short, they indicated Wayne’s seasoned history as a figure in both the hip-hop and overarching popular music scenes.

‘El Latino Gang’ shows out for J Balvin

The first Latinx headliner made a bold statement at the beginning of his set, reminding audience members he’s been waiting for this for 28 years: “This is our moment.” And J Balvin made that moment happen. The reggaetón singer opened with a few mid-career hits before paying homage to his biggest influencers.

After playing “Oye Mi Canto,” a popular 2005 hit by N.O.R.E., Balvin brought out Wisin y Yandel, an established duo in the world of reggaetón, to perform one of their classic hits from the same year, “Rakata.” Balvin’s set was inspired by Takashi Murakami — an artist most known for designing Kanye West’s early aesthetics — and featured everything from cloud people to giant, dancing dolls of Cardi B and Bad Bunny.

Although there were rumors before the concert that he would bring out more artists like he did during Coachella — especially ROSALÍA, who is set to perform Sunday — Balvin made his dominance in the genre more than clear, and stood alone as a strong performer. The vast crowd, which screamed lyrics and waved flags the whole hour, didn’t seem to mind.

Twitter: @andreabian_

Twitter: @mar1ssamart1nez