At least two injured in west Evanston shootings

Two+Evanston+Police+Department+squad+cars.+Police+responded+to+two+separate+reports+of+shots+fired+in+west+Evanston+on+Saturday.+

Daily file photo by Daniel Tian

Two Evanston Police Department squad cars. Police responded to two separate reports of shots fired in west Evanston on Saturday.

Julia Esparza, City Editor

The Evanston Police Department was alerted to two shootings in west Evanston on Saturday.

Police responded to reports of shots fired in the 1800 block of Darrow Avenue at about 4:45 p.m. Saturday. When officers arrived on the scene, they did not find anyone wounded but spoke to witnesses who described seeing shots fired from a silver SUV toward a blue Audi sedan, according to a news release. Officers found 10 shell casings on the scene.

The Wilmette Police Department located the blue Audi sedan later that day near the intersection of 7th Street and Elmwood Avenue in Wilmette. According to the release, the Audi had several bullet holes.

When EPD arrived on the scene, they identified the Audi as the one involved in the Darrow Avenue shooting earlier that day. The vehicle’s driver, a 33-year-old man, suffered a minor wound on his shoulder which was treated on the scene.

One of the vehicle’s passenger, a 24-year-old Skokie woman, suffered a gunshot wound to the chest, according to the release. The woman was transported to Evanston Hospital, where she is in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery, according to the release.

Police have not located the third occupant of the vehicle, the release said.

The second shooting occurred in the 2000 block of Jackson Avenue at about 9 p.m. Saturday. EPD received reports of a fight in the area and shots were fired before they arrived on the scene, according to the release.

Responding officers found three shell casings on the scene but did not locate anyone involved or injured. Witnesses reported a compact vehicle fleeing the area shortly after the incident.

Evanston police are continuing to investigate both cases but do not have any suspects in custody for either shooting. EPD is encouraging anyone with information to contact the department.

Twitter: @juliaesparza10