2 in custody after car chase follows reports of shots fired in west Evanston

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Evanston Police Department officers near the crash site. Two men received felony charges following a car chase that ended with a crash near Lincoln Street and Sheridan Road.

Julia Esparza, City Editor

Police detained two suspects Wednesday after responding to reports of shots fired in west Evanston.

Around 3:22 p.m., an Evanston Police Department officer in the area heard shots fired near the intersection of Payne Street and Dewey Avenue, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew told The Daily. He said the officer observed a silver jeep fleeing the area that was believed to be involved in the incident.

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer
The silver jeep that crashed into a fence at the intersection of Sherman Avenue and Lincoln Street on Wednesday. EPD officers are investigating.

Following a car chase, the silver Jeep crashed into a fence near the intersection of Sherman Avenue and Lincoln Street, Glew said. Officers detained the vehicle’s two occupants as part of the investigation. EPD found a handgun near the vehicle, Glew said.

“Continued detention and release is contingent on identification and further investigation,” Glew said.

During the incident, Orrington Elementary School, at 2636 Orrington Ave., went on lockdown following advice from the EPD. The school was in no way associated with the incident, according to an EPD tweet. The school lifted the lockdown around 4 p.m.

Evanston Township High School went on lockdown too as a precautionary measure, though they were not advised to do so by EPD, Glew said.

EPD has not found any victims and they reported that there were no injuries, Glew said. The incident does not involve Northwestern University, according to an EPD tweet.

This is a developing story. Updates will be posted as they become available.

Colin Boyle contributed reporting.

Correction: A photo caption in a previous version of this story misstated the day the shooting occurred. The shooting occurred on Wednesday, not Thursday. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @juliaesparza10