Evanston man arrested with loaded handgun in possession

Clare Proctor, Assistant City Editor

Evanston Police Department officers arrested a man in possession of a loaded handgun last Thursday.

The EPD received an anonymous call reporting a possibly armed man in the 2400 block of Main Street. The caller described the man and said he was by a white Volkswagen, according to a Feb. 22 news release. Officers responded to the area at 11:50 a.m. on Feb. 21.

Officers located the man and vehicle when they arrived at the area. When officers interviewed the man, he said he had an unloaded Norinco SKS 7.62 rifle locked in the trunk, but he had the necessary Firearm Owners Identification card for the weapon, issued by the Illinois State Police to legally possess firearms or ammunition.

While talking with the man, EPD officers saw a Glock 19 9mm handgun in plain view on the floor of the man’s backseat, EPD Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The man told officers that the Glock was loaded.

To carry a gun in this fashion, with the weapon easily accessible and loaded, requires a concealed carry license, Glew said.

“If you don’t have one, if you transport a gun off your own abode or place of business, you have to have it locked and unloaded,” Glew said.

Officers arrested the man for unlawful use of a weapon, because of the handgun but not the rifle, Glew said. The man appeared in bond court Feb. 22, Glew said.

Twitter: @ceproctor23