Three years after its founding, taco food truck expands to Tech Express

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

Amanecer Breakfast Tacos. Co-founder Ana Vela said she is excited about providing Northwestern students with a healthy and unique breakfast option.

Narmeen Noorullah, Reporter

Amanecer Breakfast Tacos recently launched an outlet in Tech Express, hoping to provide Northwestern students with a healthy and unique breakfast option.

Three years ago, Amanecer Breakfast Tacos started in the “tiniest Smart Car in the United States,” expanding to a permanent storefront in central Evanston last year. Co-founder Ana Vela said she is excited about her new location in the Technological Institute. The shop opened on the first day of fall quarter, serving tacos every Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.

After living in northern Mexico and San Antonio, Texas, Ana Vela and her husband Mario Vela noticed an obvious lack of breakfast tacos when they first moved to Evanston, she said, so they decided to introduce the concept to the city themselves.

Ana Vela said she would sell tacos from her smart car everyday at Northwestern, but during the construction on Sheridan Road, she struggled to keep business up and find a place to park.

“Once they stopped, I received a lot of emails and phone calls from students and staff at Northwestern who were used to buying our tacos everyday,” Vela said. “They were just really sad and disappointed.”

Since then, Vela has wanted to bring her menu back to Northwestern, she said. When NU’s new food provider, Compass Group, proposed serving her tacos on campus, she “jumped at the opportunity.”

Since Tech did not previously have a hot dining option, Vela said she noticed the store often went overlooked by students. However, now that people are aware of their pop-up, the response has been great, she said, particularly from students who first knew of Amanecer Tacos as a food truck.

“I’m so excited to be able to have fresh tacos so close to my morning classes!” said Ali Aamir Qureshi, a Weinberg senior. “Evanston and the Northwestern community have always been very receptive to all cuisines, and I’m certain that Amanecer Taco is going to be a big hit because we really love food.”

Vela said she appreciates Compass Group’s accommodation, flexibility and support for local and minority-led businesses. She hopes being more involved with Northwestern will attract investors to support her dream of expanding into Chicago.

Interim director of dining Stacey Lynn Brown told The Daily in an email that Tech Express aims to highlight local businesses and expand their brand.

“Commitment to variety and the inclusion of local businesses is a top priority for Northwestern Dining,” Brown said. “In keeping with the innovation that the Technology building brings to Northwestern University, Tech Express will be a great representation of this shared vision and commitment.”

Looking ahead to future developments, Brown added that guests will soon be able to enjoy Viet Nom Nom, Asiana Foodville and La Cocinita.

Vela said Amanecer Breakfast Tacos is the only company “uniquely positioned” to complement the goals of Tech Express. However, for her, Tech Express is only the beginning of her work with Northwestern.

“I am very confident with the popularity that we have had so far that we are going to be doing really well,” Velas said. “My hope is that we do well enough to soon be able to deliver our tacos to other parts of the campus as well!”