Schakowsky stands by Kavanaugh accusers, calls for delay in confirmation

Christy Bowe/Globe Photos/Zuma Press/TNS

Supreme Court Associate Justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Kristina Karisch, City Editor

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) on Wednesday expressed her support of Christine Blasey Ford, the professor who is accusing Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault.

“I applaud her courage for coming forward despite the chaos and frenzy that she will undoubtedly face because of it,” Schakowsky said in a statement.

Ford, a professor at Palo Alto University in California, alleges that Kavanaugh, a United States Circuit Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, sexually assaulted her three decades ago, when they were high school students in suburban Maryland.

Kavanaugh denied the accusations, saying the allegations were “completely false.”

“I have never done anything like what the accuser describes — to her or to anyone,” Kavanaugh said in a statement released Sept. 17.

Blasey Ford will be testifying against Kavanaugh before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday.

Kavanaugh has also been accused of sexual misconduct by two other women.

Julie Swetnick, a government employee, said Kavanaugh allegedly engaged in “abusive and physically aggressive behavior toward girls,” which included both “demeaning” verbal abuse and physical contact when he was in high school.

Deborah Ramirez has accused Kavanaugh of exposing himself to her at a party at Yale University 35 years ago.

Schakowsky urged Senators to delay Kavanaugh’s confirmation in light of the allegations.

“There is no statute of limitations on human decency,” she said in the statement. “(Kavanaugh’s) vote must be postponed so that (the allegations) – and all of the other concerns about Brett Kavanaugh’s record that have been raised – can be investigated thoroughly. Shame on the all-male panel of Republican Senators on the Judiciary Committee if they try to silence an accuser or brush these accusations of violent, predatory behavior under the rug.”

Twitter: @kristinakarisch