Blotter: Shots fired in west Evanston

Julia Esparza, Copy Chief

Evanston police responded to reports of shots fired in west Evanston on Monday night.

A 19-year-old Evanston man was sitting in a car in the 1800 block of Leland Avenue when about six bullets struck it around 8:20 p.m. The man told Evanston Police Department he did not see who shot at him, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. Police found four shell casings in the surrounding area and bullet holes in the car’s rear and front windshield.

Two witnesses to the incident were not able to offer a description but saw the vehicle of the person who shot the gun. One witness told EPD the driver fled south.

Surveillance footage shows the man who EPD believes fired the shots exiting his car then running back to it a couple minutes later. However, police were unable to identify him, Glew said.

The 19-year-old man was not injured, and police do not have any suspects at this time.

Man charged in connection with possession of cannabis, battery

Police arrested an 18-year-old Skokie man in south Evanston in connection with possession of cannabis with intent to deliver and domestic battery.

EPD responded to calls from a witness who observed a man battering a woman in an alley near the intersection of Hull Terrace and Custer Avenue around 6:32 p.m. Monday. The Skokie man fled from the scene on a bike, Glew said.

When officers arrived on the scene, they spoke with the woman, who said the man became verbally abusive, pulled her hair and hit her head on the car door.

Officers canvassed the area and found the man in the 300 block of Custer Street. The man denied the allegations of battery.

During the encounter, officers smelled cannabis and searched the man, finding a bag containing 19 individual bags of cannabis weighing about 70 grams, Glew said.

Police charged the man with domestic battery and manufacturing and delivery of cannabis.

Twitter: @juliaesparza10