NU student arrested in connection with DUI, no longer part of men’s golf program

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

Evanston Fire Department and University Police monitor the scene of a March 14 car crash at the intersection of Sherman Avenue and Colfax Street. Northwestern golfer Luke Miller was arrested in connection with driving under the influence following the crash, according to police reports.

Ben Pope, Sports Editor

Men’s Golf

Two former student-athletes on the Northwestern men’s golf team — junior Luke Miller and freshman Ethan Farnam — are no longer part of the program, an athletic department spokesman confirmed.

Although the reason for Miller’s departure has not been confirmed, the 20-year-old from Pennsylvania was arrested March 14 in connection with driving under the influence, according to an Evanston Police Department bulletin.

At about 9:30 p.m. that night, at the intersection of Sherman Avenue and Colfax Street, Miller was involved in a two-vehicle car crash that flipped over one vehicle and led to two people being transported to the hospital with minor injuries.

The reason for Farnam’s departure is also unknown. The athletic department spokesman said that since Miller and Farnam are no longer NU athletes, the athletic department will not comment further. Neither Miller nor Farnam responded to requests for comment. Their names have been removed from the Wildcats’ online roster.

The men’s golf team is currently in the middle of its spring season, most recently finishing sixth out of 26 teams in The Goodwin tournament in Palo Alto, Calif., this past weekend. Neither Miller nor Farnam competed in the tournament.

Miller last appeared in the Big Ten Match Play tournament in early February, losing two head-to-head matches and finishing all-square in a third. Earlier this year, he tied for 50th out of 84 golfers at 9-over at the Windon Memorial and tied for 42nd out of 87 golfers with a 13-over performance at the Marquette Intercollegiate.

Farnam, in his first collegiate season, turned in a plus-seven performance in the UNCG/Grandover Collegiate tournament in October — tying for 17th out of 75 golfers — after tying for 50th along with Miller at the Windon Memorial. Farnam’s resume prior to his arrival at NU was highlighted by winning the 2015 Illinois Junior Amateur championship.

Twitter: @benpope111