New director named for Multicultural Student Affairs

Northwestern’s Multicultural Center at 1936 Sheridan Road. Multicultural Student Affairs announced Monday that Daviree Velázquez Phillip, who currently works at Georgetown University, will serve as the MSA director starting in February.

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Maddie Burakoff, Campus Editor

The University has selected Daviree Velázquez Phillip as the new director for Multicultural Student Affairs, according to a Monday announcement shared with The Daily.

Phillip will begin her tenure later in Winter Quarter, the announcement said. She currently works for Georgetown University as assistant director of diversity education in its Center for Multicultural Equity and Access and as a diversity and inclusion specialist in the Center for New Designs in Learning and Scholarship.

“While at Georgetown, (Phillip’s) responsibilities included advising residential spaces with a focus on education, building communities, and advocating for the Black and Latinx communities,” the announcement said.

Former MSA director Charles Kellom, who had worked for NU since 2011, left NU for Ohio Wesleyan University in October.

The selection of the new director was made by a search committee of staff and faculty members headed by director of Social Justice Education Robert Brown. Other committee members included Student Organizations and Activities Director Kourtney Gray, MSA assistant director Christine Munteanu and Weinberg senior Kathy Nganga.

Phillip will assume her position — and an office in the Multicultural Center — on Feb. 12, according to the announcement.

Email: madelineburakoff2020@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @madsburk