Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner announces re-election bid

(Anthony Souffle/Chicago Tribune/TNS)

Gov. Bruce Rauner speaks at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield in August 2016. Rauner announced his re-election bid for governor with a campaign video denouncing corruption and career politicians.

Jake Holland, Assistant City Editor

Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner announced his re-election bid for Illinois governor on Monday in a campaign video, promising to fight corruption and career politicians.

Rauner said in the video that he ran for governor four years ago to “fight business as usual,” focusing on statewide issues like education and criminal justice. However, he said the state has problems he hasn’t yet addressed.

“Illinois still needs property tax relief, real term limits and a budget that won’t bankrupt or break us,” Rauner said.

State Sen. Daniel Biss (D-Evanston), a Democratic gubernatorial candidate, said in a Monday statement that Rauner caused “irreversible destruction” and “painful memories” over the past three years.

He said Rauner failed to pass a budget and racked up “an unprecedented” backlog of bills. Biss also said the governor has “refused to stand up” to President Donald Trump.

“Middle and working class families like ours aren’t going to sit idly by as one billionaire outbids another,” Biss said. “We’re ready to elect a middle class governor we can trust to fight for the rest of us.”

Rauner beat incumbent Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn in 2014 by about five percentage points.

“We have a choice: We can throw in the towel, walk away, leave our future to the same corrupt career politicians,” Rauner said. “Or we can choose to fight. I choose to fight.”

Twitter: @jakeholland97