Blotter: Evanston man charged with possession of controlled substance

Jake Holland, Assistant City Editor

A 25-year-old man was arrested Monday in west Evanston in connection with possession of a controlled substance.

Officers were patrolling the area around the intersection of Dodge Avenue and Main Street when they saw a car take a wide turn, crossing traffic lines and swerving into the bike lane, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

After stopping the driver, officers noticed the driver’s hands were trembling and he stuttered when he spoke, Dugan said. When the man stepped out of the car, he dropped a pill bottle on the pavement.

The pill bottle had a female’s name on it and officers suspected the pills were Alprazolam, the generic name for Xanax, Dugan said. Officers also found several other bottles with white pills as well as one yellow pill in the man’s car.

The Evanston man was charged with felony possession of a controlled substance, Dugan said.

Man charged with trespass of real property near downtown Evanston

A 36-year-old Evanston man was charged Monday with trespass of real property near downtown Evanston.

Officers were dispatched to the 1900 block of Ridge Avenue after an apartment manager saw a security video of a man opening packages and depositing their contents into storage lockers, Dugan said. The property manager said the man did not live in the building.

Officers located the man in the building and took him to the police station, Dugan said. He was charged with criminal trespass, a misdemeanor.

Twitter: @jakeholland97