Improvements begin on Central Street, Poplar Avenue

Daily file photo by Patrick Svitek

Street signs at the intersection of Central Street and Poplar Avenue. Work began Sept. 18 to rebuild an underground manhole and install new cable and conduit near the streets.

Amelia Langas, Assistant City Editor

The Evanston Public Works Agency said in a Monday news release that ComEd would begin work to rebuild an underground manhole and install new cable.

ComEd — the company that provides electricity for all Evanston properties — will be working to complete the project near Central Street and Poplar Avenue. The news release said drivers should expect delays in work zones.

“The purpose of this project is a voltage conversion to improve reliability,” the news release said. “By implementing this conversion, more power will be provided to Evanston residents leading to higher capacity and fewer outages.”

To ensure a safe work zone, parking on the streets under construction will be prohibited and traffic patterns in the area will be modified, according to the release. The ComEd crews will work Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and normal traffic patterns will resume when the crews are not working.

The manhole structure will be rebuilt to accommodate updated infrastructure and any future upgrades to the system, according to the news release.

Construction is scheduled to end Oct. 13.

Twitter: @amelialangas