Joy Yee Noodle reopens after temporary Health Department-mandated closure

Daily file photo by Aleah Matthews-Runner

Joy Yee Noodle on Davis Street. The popular Asian restaurant reopened late last week after a nine-day closure.

Ben Pope, Summer Editor

The cockroaches are gone and the sesame chicken is back at Joy Yee Noodle.

The popular Asian restaurant, located at 519 Davis Street, reopened Friday after being closed for nine days by order of the Evanston Health Department.

At a random inspection on Aug. 16, health department inspectors found live German cockroaches in the food preparation area, in food containers, in an unused refrigerator, around an ice machine and on the restaurant walls, according to Evanston’s food establishment violations database.

The restaurant was immediately closed, and Evanston public health manager Ike Ogbo told The Daily at the time that it would need to eradicate the infestation, work with a pest control company to come up with a long-term solution and then be re-inspected.

Last Thursday, however, a follow-up inspection cleared Joy Yee to reopen.

The follow-up inspection did find cockroaches in a later-discarded bin of flour — but the cockroaches were dead, and no cockroaches were found anywhere else in the store, according to the inspection database.

A Joy Yee employee who answered the phone Monday confirmed that the restaurant is now open again. Ogbo did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Joy Yee is known as a frequent destination for Northwestern students and has been a common name in The Daily’s Best of Evanston awards, winning Best Delivery in 2016 and Best Pad Thai in 2014.

Twitter: @benpope111