Rapper D.R.A.M. announced as Dillo Day daytime headliner

Allyson Chiu, Campus Editor

Rapper D.R.A.M. will be the daytime headliner for Dillo Day, Mayfest announced Monday.

D.R.A.M., stage name for Shelley Marshaun Massenburg-Smith, is known for his songs “Broccoli” and “Cha Cha.” “Broccoli” peaked at No. 5 on Billboard’s Hot 100 in November 2016.

McCormick senior Rovik Robert, a member of Mayfest’s concerts committee, said the group was considering various hip-hop artists but decided on D.R.A.M. because of his music’s joyful sound.

“D.R.A.M. was definitely one of the (artists) who stood out because of the vibe he brings,” Robert said. “He’s a very feel good, summer vibe; that’s really the kind of atmosphere we’re trying to create.”

As the daytime headliner, D.R.A.M.’s performance will be able to keep the energy high on the Lakefill, Robert said. D.R.A.M. will be joined by DJ Daf and a full band, he said.

The Dillo Day lineup was arranged to ensure that the “energy builds up all the way to the evening,” Robert said. Last week, Mayfest announced that Grammy-nominated alternative rock group MGMT will perform as the festival’s headliner. DJ Gramatik has been confirmed as the penultimate act for Dillo Day, and British rapper Little Simz will perform as well.

In addition to making Dillo Day an event where students can “de-stress” and have fun, co-director of promotions Justine Yücesan said in a statement that ensuring the concert is a place where all students feel welcome and comfortable is a priority for Mayfest.

“Mayfest Productions encourages a safe and respectful Dillo Day for all students,” the Communication junior said. “Please be mindful that rap music often contains words originally used as tools of oppression. Concert guests singing or appropriating these words, even if it is a lyric in one of our artists’ lyrics, can create an unwelcoming environment for guests of color, and we want Dillo Day to be a welcoming environment for everyone.”

Yücesan, who is also co-director of marketing and communications for A&O Productions, told The Daily organizers noticed students using the N-word during A&O Ball while singing along with the performance. Yücesan said students should be conscious of the impact of historically charged language during Dillo Day.

“It’s important to keep a diverse lineup,” she told The Daily. “The best we can do is remind people to be respectful of other community members.”

Twitter: @_allysonchiu