Evanston man charged with kidnapping

Nora Shelly, City Editor

An Evanston resident was arrested earlier this month in connection with an alleged kidnapping in Skokie, police said.

Police were called to a home in the 8600 block of St. Louis Avenue, three blocks west of the Skokie-Evanston border just after noon on Jan. 6, according to a Skokie police bulletin. The man, 19-year-old Jimmy Jasso, had allegedly forced his way into the residence with a knife and demanded his ex-girlfriend — who was under the age of 18 — to leave the premises with him. There were two other juveniles at the home during the incident, but they were unharmed.

The 19-year-old then allegedly drove the girl 25 miles south to a Walmart at 3320 S. Cicero Ave., where she was able to escape and lock herself inside a store bathroom. Cicero Police were alerted by Skokie Police of the situation at the same time the girl called authorities from inside the bathroom.

Cicero Police located the girl in the bathroom, and she was taken to a local hospital for evaluation but was unharmed and reunited with her parents at the Skokie Police Department.

Jasso was turned over to Skokie Police and charged with two felony counts of home invasion with a weapon and aggravated kidnapping with a weapon.

Twitter: @noracshelly