Northwestern Memorial Hospital ranked 8th best in country, No. 1 in Illinois by U.S. News & World Report

Fathma Rahman, Assistant Summer Editor

Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago ranked eighth on U.S. News & World Report’s 2016-2017 Best Hospitals Honor Roll, which was released Monday.

The Best Hospitals Honor Roll consists of the top 20 hospitals in the country with the highest performance ratings based on specialty, procedure and condition rankings.

Northwestern Memorial was ranked nationally in 13 adult specialties and one children’s specialty. Four of Northwestern Memorial’s specialties were ranked in the top 10, which included cardiology and heart surgery, orthopedics, geriatrics and neurology and neurosurgery. The hospital was also named the top hospital in Illinois and the Chicago metropolitan area for the the fifth consecutive year.

“This recognition reflects that our commitment to patient care is resolute,” Northwestern Memorial’s chief of cardiology Clyde Yance said in a news release. “Our goal has been and remains the provision of excellent care, expert science and comprehensive education — all done with compassion for those who need us most, our patients.”

Three other Northwestern Medicine hospitals were also ranked by U.S. News & World Report.

Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital came in seventh in Illinois and the Chicago metropolitan area, while Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital tied for 19th in the Chicago metropolitan area and 27th in Illinois.

“With four of our hospitals and 13 clinical care specialties recognized by U.S. News, this is an achievement that further distinguishes Northwestern Medicine as Chicago’s premier academic health system,” Dean M. Harrison, president and chief executive officer at Northwestern Memorial HealthCare, said in a news release.

Twitter: @fathma_rahman