Weinberg senior receives fellowship

Erica Snow, Assistant Campus Editor

Weinberg senior Diana Chang received a fellowship to study literature and culture for one year in China at Peking University.

Chang will be enrolled in the Master of Chinese Studies program at the Yenching Academy of Peking University, according to a news release. The academy hosts domestic and international students, according to its website.

Chang, who majors in biological sciences and art theory and practice, said her parents’ professions as pharmacists and grandparents’ careers as artists were influential to her interests in both science and art.

“People usually say something along the lines of, ‘Oh, right and left brained!’” Chang said in the release. “I think they’re actually quite similar in that artists and scientists are both intensely curious about the human experience: one meta-physically, one physically. But it’s the same creativity answering their curiosities.”

Peking University is China’s top university, according to U.S. News & World Report rankings.

The program, taught in English, “aims to push the study of China beyond the boundaries of traditionally defined academic disciplines within the Humanities and Social Sciences,” according to the Yenching Academy’s website.

At Northwestern, Chang worked in Feinberg Prof. John Disterhoft’s lab and studied the mammalian brain.

Twitter: @ericasnoww