Letter to the Editor: Men’s mental health is important too

Josh Walfish

I want to personally thank Jacob Swiatek for the bravery he showed in starting a group like MENtal Health. As a male who suffered with mental illness while I was a student at Northwestern, this group would have been an invaluable resource to someone like myself.

Swiatek is correct that the stigma surrounding mental health is exponentially worse for men than it is for women due in large part to the societal notion that men need to be tough, macho humans. I know plenty of men who can fit into that box, but would love a chance to express their feelings and not have to bottle them up.

Men’s mental health is unique because the problems we face in the world are difficult to comprehend. While I was in a group therapy through CAPS, I felt more connected with most of the men in my group because we all had different versions of the same issues. A group consisting of all men would do wonders for the participants for that very reason.

I wish Mr. Swiatek much success in his endeavor, and I hope it brings more attention to the issue of men’s mental health while becoming another step to breaking down the stigma that surrounds mental health throughout our society.

Josh Walfish, Medill ‘14

Correction: A previous version of this letter misstated the name of the founder of MENtal Health. His name is Jacob Swiatek. The Daily regrets the error.